Monday, June 10, 2013

"DAYS LONG GONE"


I remember the summers of my childhood. Many years, the last two weeks in August, we'd head off to New Hampshire and my Uncle's cabin. It's funny how those car rides have stayed with me. I remember learning how to play 20 questions. My Dad singing. Also we kids had our "99 bottles of beer on the wall, Old McDonald, I've been working on the railroad, etc..." With 4 kids there were lots of arguments to go around. Of course, we certainly asked the age old question, "Are we there yet?" Dozens of times. These days when you pass a family vehicle on the road, more than likely, the kids eyes are glued to a DVD screen. I understand the concept. Put on a movie, keep them quiet (hopefully) and out of your hair. IMO it's a sad substitute. Aren't kids bombarded enough with technology in their daily lives? I had some great conversations with my Dad during those car trips. Whether he was telling me jokes, trivia, or singing, I had his complete attention during those trips. Looking back, those moments mean even more to me since my Dad passed away 14 years ago. Those car trips were bonding moments and now are great memories. So I guess my whole point in getting sappy is, what will your kids look back on some day? Do you make time in your busy, daily world to simply have fun with your children? Are there no distractions? No interruptions? My Dad worked hard taking care of us. He usually came home very tired. Looking back, vacation time was so special because it really was a relaxing time to hang out with my Dad and just be. I wouldn't trade my priceless memories for any movie on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment